Friday, May 7, 2010

Fill in the blanks


In an attempt to keep current with my blog, and to celebrate finishing another semester in my master's program, here's a fill in the blanks session:

1.  My favorite book growing up was     Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild Things Are. Goodnight Moon always made me feel safe at night, and I loved the idea of escaping to another world like the little boy in Where the Wild Things Are    .

2.  The funniest book I've ever read was     I have to agree with "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell." I read it in two days and laughed the entire time .

3.  The one book that has truly changed my life is      "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortensen. He started a non-profit that builds schools in the middle-east, and this book is about how the non-prof got started. It's so inspiring, and played a role in me becoming a social worker.

4.  If you're looking for a real "tear jerker" you should probably read     "Water for Elephants." I'm not usually one for mushy romance novels, but this really got me. It is set back in the 30's in a traveling circus, and puts "The Notebook" to shame :)   .

5.  If I could meet any author living or dead I would want to meet    Absolutely John Krakauer. He wrote "Into Thin Air" and "Under the Banner of Heaven," two of my favorite books. He's an adventurer, researcher, and a very dynamic writer.     .

6.  The next book on my "to read" list is      "Drood" by Dan Simmons. It's a fictionalized account of the last years of Charles Dicken's life. My sister-in-law's mother, a librarian, recommended it  .

7.  If I was snowed into  remote cabin in the woods and could only choose three books to bring with me I'd bring      I'd have to cheat and cluster the Sookie Stackhouse novels into one group, the Harry Potter novel's in another group, and Homer's Iliad and Odyssey in the last    .

3 comments:

Micaela said...

Katie, i LOVED your answers!!!!
"i hope they serve beer in hell" WAS indeed a fast read and really crazy LOL!

"water for elephants"-- i've been intrigued by the cover & now after hearing your answers i am SO going to put it in my arms next time i'm at the book store. If it put "The Notebook" to shame - WOW, you're right, i'm gunna cry lots :)

Micaela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

let me know how water for elephants turns out for you micaela!! i seriously weeped, and i'm not a cryer!